It may be a cynical ploy to make more money from the concessions, but there seems to be an ever-growing selection of popcorn flavors in theaters. Gone are the limited days of savory or sweet. Now we can find all sorts of popcorn flavors that are constantly being developed. In many ways, popcorn is treated the same as potato chips and other flavored snacks. One of the most intense and (sometimes) polarizing popcorn flavors. cheddar cheese. This gives popcorn a corny, salty, deep flavor that we love for its exceptional ease of snacking.
At O Petroleo we show how to make cheddar cheese popcorn at home. You can make popcorn from scratch with this easy recipe, and don’t forget that you can use it as a base for adding new flavors.
2 eateries less than 15 minutes low complexity
You will need this:
You may also be interested in: How to make cottage cheese curds at home.
Steps to follow:
The first thing you should do is find a pot deep enough so that the corn kernels don’t fly out when they pop. Add tablespoons of oil and place the pan on medium heat so that it heats up gradually.
Once the oil is at the right temperature, pour in the corn kernels. Make sure they are clean and free of debris. When you put them in the pot, start keep moving so they don’t burn or brown too much on one side.
After about 3 or 4 minutes, you will begin to notice the first grains start to explode, giving you the popcorn texture we are looking for. At this point, continue to stir thoroughly so as not to burn yourself. When the popcorn starts popping like crazy to cover with a lid.
The trick with popcorn is to pop as many kernels as possible, but burn as few of them as possible. It is better to have a few depopulated grains than to burst everything and burn some. This is because you can always delete the grains did not burst and try again, but you can enable them. A general rule of thumb is to wait until the clapping stops until a second duration has elapsed between each new clapping.
When the popcorn is still hot, you should put your favorite toppings on top. In this case, it is important to first add the cheddar cheese, previously grated into thin strips. This way they will melt faster. you can do white cheddar popcorn at home, yellow cheddar or your favorite processed cheese. Cream cheese or other soft cheese won’t work, but a good hard Parmesan will do.
When you see the cheese starting to get soft, you can tap the bowl to get the popcorn moving and make sure the cheese covers all of the popcorn. If you add enough, you can stir it with clean hands, but only if the popcorn chilled enough.
When you have cheese popcorn ready, add salt to taste. A little dried rosemary will work too, but other dried herbs like oregano or even a little basil will work too. For those who like the heat, you can add a little hot chili pepper or paprika. Sweet paprika pairs well with cheese if you want more flavor but less spiciness. You can even add some homemade Worcestershire umami punch sauce.
Enjoy it right away, as it won’t taste as good when cold. If you don’t like corn, make you want to try other appetizer recipes like our fluffy quinoa recipe or our guide to some of the best homemade superfood snacks.
- There is a variant of cheese-flavored popcorn that consists of adding ready-made powdered seasoning that can be bought at the supermarket. However, we recommend that you put real cheese in it, so that the taste is much richer and the result is healthier.
- The flavor of popcorn can come in many variations. If you want, you can make a combination of different cheeses that you like best in advance and use it to make homemade cheese popcorn.
- If you’re on a vegan diet and don’t want to give up the cheese flavor in your popcorn, you can use vegan cheese, which is often better for the texture of cheese powder.
- Popcorn can be a very healthy alternative to snacking between meals. It is recommended not to make them with a lot of oil, so that they are not too greasy, and season them with spices to avoid a high salt content.
- There are all kinds of popcorn on the market that can be cooked in the microwave. However, it will always be healthier and more natural to cook them in a pan. Also, it will give you more freedom to make them the flavor you prefer.
- You can use vegetable oil or olive oil to make popcorn. With olive you will have a more intense taste.
- If you love popcorn, you can speed up the cooking process by purchasing a special popcorn machine that will give you popcorn with cheddar cheese, just like they do in the movies.